Unencapsulated polystyrene foam used to float docks, breaks up with weathering, scattering fragments big and small that end up as a lot of ugly litter in our water and shorelines. Also, polystryrene foam, as a plastic, never really goes away, but it can degrade into microplastics (less tham 5 mm in size) and pose a threat to aquatic wildlife who could ingest it. Polystyrene foam was the biggest source of litter found in 9 Georgian Bay cleanups in 2019, the most visible source being from docks. In Ontario alone, between 2016 and 2018 - 338,610 pieces of foam were collected by volunteers of the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup and International Coastal Cleanups. This Bill can eliminate one future source.
What can you do?
- I am a constituent (include address)
- I support Bill 228: Keeping Polystyrene Out of Ontario’s Lakes and Rivers Act to address plastic pollution caused by docks and buoys floated with unencapsulated polystyrene foam
- Personal explanation/story of how this affects you or why you are concerned (optional, but helpful). Examples: “My concern comes from personally seeing this foam litter in little bits all over my shoreline.” Or “I have seen the results of my community shorelines cleanups and I am appalled by how many foam pieces there were from unencapsulated docks.” “ Here is a picture of litter I found.”
- Sign off with urging your MPP to support the Bill, unless your MPP is Mr. Miller
- Copy MPP Norm Miller and the Honourable Jeff Yurek (Minister of the Environment, Conservation, and Parks) How do I find my MPP’s email address? Please use this finder if your MPP is not listed below. If you scroll down on the finder page, you will see that you can punch in your postal code and your MPP will appear. Here are a few local Georgian Bay MPPs and MPP Jeff Yurek: 1. COPY: MPP Jeff Yurek (Minster of Conservation and Parks): email@example.com 2. COPY/ MPP Norm Miller (Parry Sound- Muskoka) – the initiator of Bill 228 firstname.lastname@example.org if he is not your MPP. If he is your MPP send him a letter supporting the Bill. 3. MPP Jill Dunlop (Simcoe North) - email@example.com 4. MPP Bill Walker (Bruce Grey Owen Sound) - firstname.lastname@example.org 5. MPP Jim Wilson (Simcoe-Grey) - email@example.com